"They that go down to the sea in ships."
- ~ C.A.P. & Library
- ~ Cape Bear Lighthouse
- ~ Chronological List
- ~ Dining
- ~ Gallery 1
- ~ Gallery 2
- ~ History
- ~ Items of Interest
- ~ Lobster & Seafood Outlets
- ~ Lobster History
- ~ Lobster History P2
- ~ Memories; Murray Harbour
- ~ M.H. Poem
- ~ Nellie Banks
- ~ Old Ship Photos
- ~ Opening Day;(SlideShow)
- ~ Rail Head Park
- ~ Shops & Businesses
- ~ Tuna Fishing
- ~ Vessels and Captains
- ~ Links
- ~ Contact Us
Chronological List of Murray Harbour and Area...
1765 Samuel Holland surveyed Prince Edward Island.
1765 General Murray was present in area.
1765 Named in honor of General James Murray, the first British Governor of Quebec.
1798 John Cambridge received a grant of lots 63 and 64.
1798 Census the only settlers living in lot 64 were the following individuals at Murray Harbour; Nicholas Hugh with his family of three, William Sencabaugh and family of five, and a Widow Foster with family of five.
1798 James Irving settled on a farm with his family at Beach Point.
1805 John Cambridge established a large fishery here.
1805 John Cambridge built a sawmill and shipyard at Cambridge Mills, now called Murray River.
1806 Guernsey settlers arrived; Brehauts, Lelacheurs, Machons, Marquands, Dejerseys, Taudvins, Roberts and Nicolles.
1806 James Macgregor the first Presbyterian church minister to visit. He preached in the home of James Irving.
1808 James Richards settled here from Cardiff, Wales.
1813 Vere Beck and his wife, Elizabeth Marfleet settled here from England.
1815 First Methodist church on PEI built here and opened Aug 15th by the Rev. John Hicks.
1820 Thomas Bell arrived from Scotland.
1820's John Brooks came from England.
1821 Road between Murray Harbour and Vernon River finished.
1822 One of the earliest Methodists ministers here was John Snowball of Yorkshire, England.
1822 A Presbyterian congregation organized for Murray Harbour North and South by Rev. Dr. Kerr.
1830 Rev. Daniel MacCurdy inducted as the Presbyterian Church minister.
1834 First post office located in Thomas Bell's house.
1834 Guernsey Cove School built.
1835 The first Presbyterian Church built on the property of Donald MacKay.
1838 Teacher at Guernsey Cove was Pierce Ryan.
1840 MacLeod family came to Beach Point from Isle of Skye.
1840's Edward Jordan and family came from England.
1840's Large influx of settlers from Shelburne, Nova Scotia; The MacKay's, Stewart's, Jackson's, Daly's and William's.
1840's Hon. Daniel Davies started a lobster fishery at "the beach", there was a store, a butcher shop, and a shipyard there as well.
1841 John Morrison and Francis Anderson were teachers in the school.
1841 Cape Bear School built.
1841 John Stewart was teacher and 31 students.
1853 Malcolm MacFadyen came to PEI and later settled in Beach Point.
1859 Abraham Daly settled at Beach Point.
1859 Samuel Prowse moved to Murray Harbour to engage in the fisheries industry.
1860's Charles Brehaut a shoemaker as well as the postmaster.
1860 Presbyterian Church moved to Henry Brehaut property.
1861 Two Hundred inhabitants lived in the village.
1877 Malcolm MacFadyen took over Mr. Davies factory business.
1878 Disastrous fire destroyed the store, warehouse and lobster factory of Mr. Malcolm MacFadyen.
1880's The "Electra" a small steamship served the area.
1880's There was a lobster factory in White Sands.
1881 Cape Bear lighthouse was built.
1884 Methodists acquired the bible Christian church as a result of a union.
1884 Prowses built a starch factory.
1890's Dr. James Richards died.
1890's Baptist church built.
1893 The Hall built by the sale of shares.
1893 James Robertson built the first chimney in the hall.
1900's The new steamer "the Enterprise" served the area.
1900's William Lamont built a lobster factory at Big Brook in the Cape Bear.
1900's Marconi station built at Cape Bear near the lighthouse.
1905 Railroad came.
1912 Message received at the Marconi station announcing the sinking of the SS Titanic.
1920's Fraser's operated a lobster factory in White Sands.
1923 Horace Machon became Imperial oil agent.
1932 Fishermen's Union formed and they built a factory.
1935 New Presbyterian Church opened.
1939 New electricity transmission lines erected.
1939 Irish moss industry started when WW2 broke out.
1939 A moss house was built at the bridge.
1940 The first full carload of moss to leave PEI came from Beach Point.
1940's The ferry stopped running between Murray Harbour and Murray Harbour North.
1946 Alex Vaniderstine built the first service station.
1947 The first diesel locomotive on the Island ran from Charlottetown to here, the engineer was Percy Darte Sr.
1949 Memorial rink officially opened January.
1950's Home port for 5, 65 foot schooners.
1950's Railroad passenger service came to an end.
1950's Building paved road.
1957 Beach point built a new 2-room school.
1957 Starch factory closed.
1958 School moved farther back from the road and completely renovated.
1960's Present post office built.
1973 School closed permanently.
1970's Library moved to the school.